Since 1998 to 99 I was studying my Pre-University College in
Sirsi M M arts and Science College. I studied in Kannada medium till my
secondary school education. My spoken English was not so good .Taking tuitions
for that was not at all affordable.
This was the first time I, with my few friends have decided
to join “Aptech computer Education”. I
fought with my dad and manage to get fees .Which I paid in few installments.
The course name was Diploma in Information and System management. It had topic
covering basic computer knowledge, basic programming language and finally visual
basic with MSSQL. I was so much involved in the learning that anything my
teacher says I was ready to do it. I have decided to “Just do it” whatever my teacher asks for me. I should thank my
teacher Dinesh M C who always encourages me to face challenges.
In the second semester of the course everyone has to give
presentation on topics of our choice. When my teacher ask me to find out one
good topic and give presentation without second thought I accept it. In my life
time I never stood on stage and spoke. Forget about the stage, I never sat in
the first row in school. I was in such feelings, myself split into two person.
One says, come on you have to do it. Another one say, are your crazy, look at
your language man, you can’t even speak properly, people will laugh at you.
Hell lot of fear, anxiety and some excitement covered me whole day .I couldn’t
sleep properly that night. Next day it was holiday.
I wanted to select a topic for my presentation which I know
very well. Finally I red some books and figured out. Virus is the topic I
choose for my presentation. I have prepared a plan to complete mission
first presentation successfully.
1. How to start the presentation:
Basically nobody starts there presentation without wishing, hello good
morning. Today I am going to give presentation on ….. Topic .The next line what
we say is important.
2. I
should have maximum knowledge on the topic :
I did research on the history of Virus .How they come to the world of
computers. What types of viruses are
there .How much damage they are causing to the computers..etc. How protect
computers from virus. And a few lines on Anti-Virus as well. Basically may not
be complete but maximum understanding or knowledge on the presentation is very
crucial.
3. I
should learn presentation skills (body language, eye contact..etc.):
In any presentation body language, proper eye contact is necessary. Looking
at one person all the time and speaking won’t get others attention to your
presentation. You should be looking at all .Now at the same time, the way you
are moving your hands rolling your eyes according to the situation makes people
more attracted ,interesting in your presentation.
4. Handling situations or create situation to
handle:
Everywhere in the world, there will be some people who are jealous or
don’t like or competitor to you .They always try to question you something
which you may not be able to answer. That depends a lot on how much the
opponent knows about the topic you are presenting. If the opponent know the
topic well, then he is going to ask some question .Which he thinks, you may not
know. But remember you are prepared well. Of course to be frank, In some
situation you can always say “I have no
idea on that I will get back to you on this” or “I don’t know much about this
will get back to you on this”. Sometimes, people may ask you more examples
then you mentioned in the presentation. So be prepared with more examples which
you are not included in the presentation. In fact, don’t include all the examples in presentation. But, Keep one ready
and hidden in your mind to handle situation like this.
5. Interacting with people to get comfort on
stage:
It was the first time I was going on stage for my presentation. I had lot
of fear in heart. I was totally uncomfortable .But I had planned to tackle this
situation .When I started my seminar.
I wrote the word in capital “Virus”. Looking at the audience I asked what
is virus?? 2 minutes silence. Then slowly I started looking at one by one .In
the end I asked any idea on this??No one answered .Then I started explains the
abbreviation for VIRUS. Vital information Resource under Seize.
I wrote it on the board by pronouncing the words. By this time I was
comfortable on the stage. My fear is gone. I filled with confidence.
6. Research and Understand audience
You should know your audience first. How much they can understand the
topic you are speaking on. Whether you need to tell them the basics of computer
first and then talk about virus. This is very important to make your presentation
interesting and successful.
7. How to finish the presentation
People usually finish their presentation with Q&A(Questions and
Answers session)what if no one asks any questions? So what you can ask
question back to the audience. That’s not to check their understanding but to
make a good ending.
8. Rehearsal by imagination
I
stood on the bed, closed my eyes imagined my class room with many people in
there and started my presentation .I did rehearsals for more than 2 to 3 days.
Every time I did rehearsal I saw myself improvement from previous presentation
rehearsals.
Fortunately before I execute this mission. I got a chance to
apply this on real time. I had a neighbor who has just joined the college for
Bachelor of Arts with optional English. On very first day his lecture asked him
to give seminar on some topic of his choice in next 2 days. He was also from Kannada medium and he never had done presentation in his life time. He had come
to me to get some help on the same. Believe me or not whatever I prepared I
just explained to my neighbor Subhash. He prepared accordingly and done
presentation rehearsal 2 to 3 times every day.
Surprisingly, one fine day he came to me and hugs me tightly
and said his presentation was terrific, very much appreciated by the lecture
and friends.
Wow wonderful, I was very happy to see the plan working.
Now, there was no chance that my mission first presentation would
fail. As I already had a real time scenario.

Comments